I have my D-Link DIR-880L router for almost one and half years. I flashed the firmware to use DD-WRT one. Later I flashed back to D-Link firmware.
The latest version is 1.08 on D-Link Canadian website. I upgraded it long time ago.
On the D-Link support forum, it shows an updated version of firmware is available for EU users. I am not sure if they are any difference between Canada edition and EU edition, on the hardware basis.
I believe the USA and Canada may use the same hardware. So I go to USA D-Link website.
Continue reading “Upgrade D-Link DIR-880L Firmware”
I bought D-Link DIR-880L last year. One of the features of it is DD-WRT compatible.
Three weeks ago, I downloaded the dd-wrt firmware and flashed it on the router.
The version I downloaded is DD-WRT v3.0-r30432 std.
Based on the forum, it said 30432 is the working version for DIR-880L.
Continue reading “DD-WRT vs Factory default ROM on D-link DIR-880L”
Because I have a new router Dir-880L, a new Wi-Fi adapter is required.
D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi Dual Band USB Adapter。 Regular price is more than $80 at the retail store. Now I got a new one from London Drugs. It is on sale. $49.99 plus tax. I saw this price before at the same store.
– Next Generation Wireless Technology – Wireless AC1900 for seamless gaming, smooth HD media streaming and fast file transfers
– Dual Band Performance – Up to 600Mbps (2.4GHz) or 1300Mbps (5GHz) to deliver fast wireless speeds and less interference for maximum throughput
– USB 3.0 – Faster connectivity and performance
– Simple setup – WPS Push Button for easy connection to your wireless network
– Backward compatibility – Compatible with existing Wi-Fi routers and range extenders
Continue reading “D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi Dual Band USB Adapter”
I bought a new Router from Costco two months ago. D-Link DIR-880L Dual Band Router AC1900. It replaced my old DIR-850L.
The most important reason, which makes me decide to buy it, is the price, $99.97. The current market price of it is $159.99 at NCIX or $189.99 at Dell.ca today.
The second important reason is that it is AC1900.
Let me show you the difference between AC1200 and AC1900
AC1200: 300 + 867
AC1900: 600 + 1300
There is a chart compared DIR-850L with DIR-880L side by side.
Continue reading “D-Link DIR-880L Router”
It is time to upgrade router firmware.
There is a alert notice on the support.dlink.ca
Security Advisory: New firmware has been released that fixes the latest HNAP Privilege Escalation Vulnerability. Please ensure to upgrade your router to the latest firmware version. Click on on the Downloads tab below.
What kind of vulnerability this time?
Here is a detailed information page about it. http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/support-news/2015/april/13/hnap-privilege-escalation-command-injection
An attacker who wishes to gain access to the router sends an unprivileged HNAP command such as GetDeviceSettings, they append to the command an additional command separated with an “/”, which is used as a separator between commands. Any command(s) after the first will be executed unauthenticated. Additionally, additional commands will be passed directly to the underlying Linux system, allowing the injection of arbitrary system commands.
The GetDeviceSettings HNAP Command is used to indicate some very common parameters (e.g. the domain name of the HNAP device), as well as to define which HNAP commands are available.
Continue reading “Upgrade Dir-850L router firmware to v1.13”
Now it is time to upgrade D-Link router 850L to new version, 1.12WW.
Here is official download link
Look at the release notes:
1. Update CN channel table
2. Support No-IP DDNS server
1. Fix gmx mail server issue.
2. Fix WAN/LAN IP conflict issue.
3. Fix HW NAT throughput issue
It is only for Hardware version A1.
This update is only applicable to North America devices.
The release notes for 1.10 are:
¤ Fix the issue with DS-Lite
¤ Fix the security issue with Samba
¤ Fix the issue with the mail server
¤ Fix the issue with DLNA
¤ Support the latest hidden page
¤ Support PPPoE Passthrough
I just don’t know what is latest hidden page.
Continue reading “Update D-Link DIR-850L router firmware to 1.10B08”
Got DIR-850L at London Drugs. It is only $10 more than the one I got, DIR-845L at Costco. I did not see the benefits of SmartBeamTM Technology. So I spend $109 to get a new router with 802.11AC support. 802.11AC is a new standard. See new technologies data from Wiki.
- Extended channel binding
- Mandatory 80 MHz channel bandwidth for STAs (vs. 40 MHz maximum in 802.11n), 160 MHz available optionally
- More MIMOspatial streams
- Support for up to eight spatial streams (vs. four in 802.11n)
- Multi-user MIMO(MU-MIMO)
- Multiple STAs, each with one or more antennas, transmit or receive independent data streams simultaneously
- “Space Division Multiple Access” (SDMA): streams not separated by frequency, but instead resolved spatially, analogous to 11n-style MIMO
- Downlink MU-MIMO (one transmitting device, multiple receiving devices) included as an optional mode
- 256-QAM, rate 3/4 and 5/6, added as optional modes (vs. 64-QAM, rate 5/6 maximum in 802.11n)
- Controversy has been raised that this modulation rate is not suitable for any architecture other than extremely small cells and would be completely useless to 3GPP
- Other elements/features
- Beamforming with standardized sounding and feedback for compatibility between vendors (non-standard in 802.11n made it hard for beamforming to work effectively between different vendor products)
- MAC modifications (mostly to support above changes)
- Coexistence mechanisms for 20/40/80/160 MHz channels, 11ac and 11a/n devices
Continue reading “Got a D-Link DIR-850L to replace DIR-845L”
Three network card or USB adapter.
The oldest one is WUA1340, I got five years ago. DWA-525 just weeks ago. The LinksysAE2500 I got this week.
WUA1340 is G only. DWA-525 and AE2500 support 802.11n network. Based on the theory, DWA-525 is 3 times faster than WUA1340, AE2500 is 2 times faster than DWA525. But, the reality may be different. Let me show you the fact based on my personal test of the speed to copy a large file.
- Wireless Dual-Band N (2.4 or 5 GHz)
- High speed up to 300 Mbps
- Optimized for streaming video & gaming
- Wireless N
- 150 Mbps 2.4 GHz
- Wireless G
- 54 Mbps
- Hi-Speed USB
Continue reading “AE2500 vs DWA-525 vs WUA 1340”
One of readers asked the difference between DIR-845L and DIR-826L. I did a lot of research online before purchasing my new Router.
They have a similar shape. Not easy to distinguish them without look at the back. There are not many differences between these two router, but the difference are important.
The following information are collected from DLink Canada and UK sites.
The same parts:
- mydlink Cloud Service – mydlink Lite App
- SharePort Mobile App
- Four Gigabit LAN ports
- one Gigabit Ethernet WAN port
- 300+300 Mbps
- 2.4GHz and 5GHz Dualband
- DIR-845L has Six internal antennas
- DIR-826L has 2X internal antennas
They call it SmartBeam technology.
Continue reading “DIR-845L vs DIR-826L”