I was wondering if I need a firewall on my desktop, which is Windows 7. Even Symantec Endpoint Protection anti-virus program is installed.
Late I found Comodo Firewall. It has CNET Editor’s 5 stars Rating. And it is FREE.
Go to the official site to download the Free Firewall.
- No complex configuration issues—perfect for amateur users
- Quickly learns user behavior to deliver personalized protection
- User-friendly, attractive graphical interface
- Lots of configuration options let techies configure things just as they like
- DDP-based security keeps you informed and PCs safe
Here is a screenshot on my desktop.
Looks simple? When I click the Tasks link on the right-upper, there are so many advanced features.
Continue reading “Free Professional Firewall from Comodo”
I installed the latest version of Virtualbox on the official web site.
It is virtualbox 4.3.14-95030. When I installed and try to run the program, it displayed the following errors.
Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn
If you met same errors as me, go to download the Virtualbox 4.3.15
Here is the details of the problem.
Virtualbox 4.3.14 conflicts with anti-virus packages.
It is suddenly 2.0 now. I am still using 1.4x.
It has been a year since calibre 1.0 and lots has changed in calibre-land. The biggest new feature is an e-book editor, capable of editing ebooks in both the EPUB and AZW3 (Kindle) formats. Click on the items in the list below to learn more about each new feature.
Note that because of the move to Qt 5, calibre no longer supports either Windows XP or versions of OS X older than 10.7 (Lion). If you are using either of these operating systems, you should stay with calibre 1.48
- The e-book editor
- Comparing books
- Support for Android phones and tablets on OS X
- Now uses Qt 5
- Support for touchscreen windows tablets
- Improvements to library organisation
Release: 2.0 [21 Aug, 2014]
- Add support for MTP devices (Android phones/tablets) on OS X
- Update the version of Qt used by calibre to Qt 5. This fixes various longstanding bugs in calibre that were caused by bugs in Qt 4.
- Edit Book: Make the edit saved search/add saved search popup window non-modal.
- Tag Browser: Show format specific icons for the format entries in the Tag Browser
- Library check: Add buttons to conveniently mark all fixable/deletable items.
Download 64bit Calibre here: http://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64
Here is a list of the software I got upgrade.
Microsoft Windows 7
v 35.0.1916.153 m
Calibre 64bit has new 1.37 release.
New Features of 1.37
- Edit Book: Live spell checking in the code view. Now spelling errors are highlighted in the code view for convenient correction as you type. This can be turned off via Preferences->Editor.
- E-book viewer: When using the tap and hold gesture on a touchscreen, allow lookup of the word currently under the finger in the dictionary or online.
- Edit Book: Allow putting the editor into replace mode by pressing the Insert key
- Content server: Add more descriptive titles to the OPDS feeds, where possible.
- Edit Book: Update the Table of Contents view automatically when the ncx file is edited.
- Edit book: Insert tag button: Allow entering attributes along with the tag name to make it easy to repeatedly insert, for example, <span class=’special’></span>.
- Windows driver for Woxter Scriba 190.
- Edit Book: Add an entry to the context menu of the preview panel to open external URLs when a link is right clicked on
New Features of 1.36
- Edit Book: A new tool to filter style information (Tools->Filter style information). Useful to easily remove some CSS properties from the entire book.
- DOCX Input: Add support for cross references. Cross references that are used to insert hyperlinks are now converted into hyperlinks in the output document. Features to insert paragraph/page numbers are not supported.
- Add support for viewing kepub files in the calibre viewer, by treating them as plain epub files
- Edit book: In the Insert Link tool show a few words of text alongside the location anchor name, to make it easier to know what a location is
- Manage user dictionaries: Allow copying all selected words by right clicking them and choosing ‘Copy to clipboard’.
- Content server: Make .ibook format files available in OPDS feeds
- Edit book: Allow copying the list of errors from the Check Book tool to the clipboard by right clicking on the list of errors
- Book polishing: If the books being polished have an ORIGINAL_EPUB/AZW3 format, warn the user that polishing will use it as the source and ask for confirmation.
New Features of 1.35
- Edit Book: Redesign the syntax highlighter to improve performance for large documents and extended editing sessions.
- Edit book: Make cursor movement smooth by not highlighting matching tags while the cursor is moving. Only match highlighting tags if the cursor stays still for a time.
- Spellcheck dialog: Indicate whether a word is ignored in the Misspelled column
- Spellcheck dialog: Pressing Ctrl+C on the words list copies only selected words, regardless of current cell
- Add a copy to clipboard action to the context menu for the spell check dialog
- Edit book: Fix save button incorrectly disabled after a failed save
New Features of 1.34
- E-book viewer: When in flow mode, handle swiping on the touchscreen differently. Swiping now scrolls line by line in flow mode instead of page by page. If you wish to scroll page by page in flow mode, tap instead of swiping.
- Conversion: Preserve all guide entries that are of a type present in the EPUB 2.0 specification. These entries are used by newer Kindle readers to populate the Go To jump list
- When adding MOBI files if the author name is in LN, FN format, auto change it to FN LN format, as the MOBI format has no author sort field. This behavior can be disabled by setting Preferences->Tweaks->Author sort name algorithm to copy.
- Spellcheck: When checking French text list all words that have the same stem as a single word. So j’aime and aime are listed as a single word.
- Spell check: Add a context (right click) menu that allows for quick operations on all selected words
- Manage user dictionaries: Add a button to import a list of words in bulk into the user dictionary
- Spell check dialog: Allow sorting words case sensitively
There is a last day for Windows XP.
To memory it, here is a screenshot of Windows XP in VirtualBox.
Continue reading “RIP: Windows XP 2001.08.24 – 2014.04.08”
VirtualBox is a must have on my Windows 7. I installed Centos 6 32bit and 64bit testing guest system in it. And also retired Windows XP. So, keep Oracle VM VirtualBox updated is very important. Here is a new release of VirtualBox 4.3.
- VMM: more work on improving the emulation of certain MSR registers on certain host CPUs (e.g. bugs #12734, #12736, #12744, #12748, #12686, #12770)
- VMM: fixed single-stepping for real-mode guests (VT-x without unrestricted guest execution) and some I/O instructions (bug #12636)
- VMM: fixed a potential problem with COW pages if nested paging is not available
- GUI: Mac OS X: experimental native full screen support for Mountain Lion and Mavericks (bug #12292)
- GUI: Mac OS X: removed the mini-toolbar minimize button which doesn’t work under Mac OS X full screen mode anyway
- GUI: experimental HID LEDs synchronization for Windows and Mac OS X hosts: fixed keyboard re-synchronization if the feature is disabled (as done by default; bug #12758)
- GUI: fixed a potential crash when opening the preferences menu (bug #12862)
- OVF: fixed a crash of the VirtualBox Manager when re-starting guest export (bug #12586)
- 3D support: several fixes
- HGCM: fixed a problem with saved states which could cause several guest misbehavior after a VM was started from a saved state
- Storage: fixed a bug preventing to compact differential snapshots under certain conditions
- VBoxSVC: fixed a segmentation fault on Linux hosts if a very long path exists under /dev (bug #12760)
- API: fixed guest misbehavior under certain conditions if a storage medium was attached or removed at VM runtime
- Windows installer: make the –silent parameter work again (bug #12764)
- Mac OS X Networking: prevent local traffic (VM-to/from-host) from leaking to wire (bug #12750)
- Windows Additions: fixed the environment for guest processes (4.3.8 regression; bug #12782)
- Windows Additions/WDDM: fixed divide by zero exception with multiple guest screens under certain conditions
- Windows Additions/WDDM: fixed crashes with 2D video acceleration enabled (4.3.8 regression; bug #12745)
- Linux Additions: install correctly on Ubuntu guest systems with a /usr/lib64 directory (bug #12513)
- X11 Additions: fix for the VBoxClient process not exiting correctly (bug #12348) and consuming too much processor time
Click here to get the latest installation package at official site.
I us IObit Uninstaller to clean my Windows 7. There is one program I found in the list, called Slick Savings.
I have never install this program on purpose. Actually, I don’t think I saw this name before.
So I check it by Google. It sounds like a bundle program came with other software.
Based on the information from search results 1.
Slick Savings is an ad-supported (users may see additional banner, search, pop-up, pop-under, interstitial and in-text link advertisements) cross web browser plugin for Internet Explorer (BHO) and Firefox/Chrome (plugin) and distributed through various monetization platforms during installation. The browser extension includes various features that will modify the default or custom settings of the browser including the home page, search settings and in some cases will modify Internet Explorer’s load time threshold, place a lock file within Firefox to prevent competing software from changing its settings as well as disable the browser’s Content Security Policy in order to allow for cross site scripting of the plugin.
It is simply to let IObit Uninstaller to remove Slick Savings. The alternative method can be found here.
The error ‘Failed to register the DLLs required by the program.‘ is displayed when running Webstyle just after I install it on my Windows 7 64bit
The program is installed default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\
I googled the error and found the answer.
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\bincoder.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\templman.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\xaradocg.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\xmupload.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\bmpimporter.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\templop.dll”
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\xfontman.dll”
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Xara\Webstyle 4\dlls\xwsindex.exe” /RegServer
Regsvr32 “C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\MSSoap\Binaries\WHSC30.dll”
If you are working on Windows Vista, its possible you will encounter the error below after registering the DLLs and attempting to run the program
“The bincoder.dll was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed wth error code 0x8002801c.”
Please Check the starting security option of webstyle, enable the option “start as administrator”.
Continue reading “Error when launch Xara Webstyle on Windows 7 64bits”