Gmail, one of the world’s most popular email services. I used it for more than thirteen years. It has major changes on the look and some real new features.
Now it looks more flatter. You know Google’s Material Design schema. It looks like a new design of the theme.
The default look shows the attachment in the email list.
Continue reading “Google makes a new Gmail Face”
Today, I upgrade my Calibre to 3.15, which is released on Jan 5.
New features v3.15
- Browser viewer: Allow customizing what information is displayed in the header and footer areas. Access Preferences from the viewer controls to change.
- Add support for MTP devices on FreeBSD
- ToC editor: Add more case changing operations to the right click menu
- Content server: Allow opening entries in the book list in a new tab via middle click/right click
- Add a tweak in Preferences->Tweaks to exclude some fields when using the Edit metadata->Copy/paste actions
- Linux: Allow using calibre-tray.png in the calibre resources folder to override the system tray icon.
New features v3.14
- User manual: A new quick reference primer for regular expression syntax https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/regexp_quick_reference.html
- Content server: Allow viewing the book metadata while reading a book. In the viewer controls, tap Goto and then Metadata to see the metadata.
- Kobo driver: Add support for new firmware
- Bulk metadata edit: Allow choosing the algorithm used for changing the case of titles
- Get books: The koobe.pl store plugin has now become the Swiat Ebookow store plugin
- Allow Copy/paste of book metadata from the main book list. Right click the Edit metadata button to access these actions.
- Allow disabling the confirmation popup when opening the containing folder of many books at once.
Continue reading “Upgrade to Calibre 3.15”
It said: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin “windows” in “”. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
My current Windows 10 is version 1703, OS build 15063.674.
I knew OneDrive is the builtin with Windows 10. It can not be uninstall like a normal program.
Continue reading “OneDrive could not launch on Windows 10”
I have a VM using VirtualBox on Windows 10. The VM was created last year. Now I feel it is too small. I am going to increased the disk without damaging the data on it.
The basic information of the VM.
- It is Ubuntu 16.04 server mode. It means no GUI installed.
- The original disk size is 8GB.
- VDI disk file.
- LVM file system was used when I installed the VM.
- Windows 10 pro (15063.674 build) is the host system.
- VirtualBox 5.1.28 when I do the following.
I am going to increased the disk size from 8Gb to 12GB.
Step 1: Increase the vdi file.
D:\VirtualBox VM>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxmanage" modifyhd "ubuntu 16.04.vdi" --resize 12000
Step 2: Use Gparted CD image to modify the size of partition.
- Download the latest verion of Gparted v0.30 iso file.
- Attached the iso file to storage of the VM.
- Start the VM.
- Using default option of Gparted tool.
- The following screen shown in the VM terminal window.
There are two locks on the partitions, sda2 and sda5.
I have to unlock them first. Highlight the sda5, right-click and choose Deactivate.
Continue reading “Extend VirutalBox disk of Ubuntu 16.04”
Now, Calibre is not upgraded every week. Let me have a look at the new releases.
New features of Calibre 3.7
- Allow searching for books in a virtual library using a new ‘vl:’ prefix
- Server: Show file sizes in the tooltips for the download buttons.
- Server: Reduce the grid view minimum cover thumbnail size from 150px to 105px
- Narrow layout: Fix wasted space to the left of the comments in the Book details panel
New features of Calibre 3.6
- Linux: Use native file dialogs via zenity or kdialog, if available
- Copy to library: Add an action to show a dialog that allows for easy selection of libraries for copy/move. Useful when there are a large number of libraries to choose from.
- Server: Allow deleting a downloaded book from the “Browse all downloaded books” screen
New features of Calibre 3.5
- Server: Add a new ‘custom’ mode for the book list, where you can specify exactly what metadata fields are displayed, via a template (see Preferences->Sharing over the net->Book list template)
- Speed up HTML parsing by an order of magnitude, by switching from html5lib to html5-parser
- Add support for touch screens to the main calibre book list. You can now flick to scroll, tap to select and double-tap to view books.
- Server: Add an option to ban IP addresses if there are too many failed login attempts
- calibre-debug: Change the –explode-book action to only create the exploded directory and not rebuild the file. Add a new –implode-book action to rebuild the file, separately.
- Book details panel: Add Manage authors/series/tags/etc. to the menu when right clicking on the item
- Kobo driver: Update for new firmware
Continue reading “Upgrade to Calibre 3.7”
It is a big upgrade. New version serials, starting 3.x.
Calibre 3.0 is released on June 16, 2017. Calibre 2.x is starting almost two years ago.
What is New in Calibre 3.0?
- The new Content server
- You can start the Content server by clicking the Connect/share button in calibre. Then just open up a browser and type
http://localhost:8080 in the address bar. You will see a list of calibre libraries. Click on one and browse the books. Click on a book and you will have the option to read or download it.
- Support for High Resolution (Retina) screens
- Support for icon themes and a new default icon set
- Conversion to Microsoft Word (DOCX)
- Backwards incompatibilities
Here is the list of new features for Calibre 3.0:
- For details on the major changes in calibre between 2.0 and 3.0, see https://calibre-ebook.com/new-in/twelve
- A completely re-written Content server with support for reading books in-browser on your phone/tablet. Also works in offline mode.
- Support for high resolution (Retina screens)
- A new splash screen to celebrate the release of calibre 3
- Minor tweaking of the main user interface to emphasize the core features
Download 64bit Windows version Calibre here https://calibre-ebook.com/download_windows64
It is almost one year after Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2, which released in October 2015. Now I found 4.1.3 is released on October 12, 2016.
A lot of people said that Apache OpenOffice Project Could End. The main reasons are no enough developer, security vulnerabilities can not be fixed in reasonable time frame.
During past three years, Apache OpenOffice Project released only three maintenance version. The main competitor, LibreOffice has 14 releases in 2015. Based on the requirement from ASF, at least one release per month is minimum.
I used Apache OpenOffice many years. I can not remember when I switch to LibreOffice. Maybe 2014.
Even I use LibreOffice for two years. I still hope Apache OpenOffice can continue developing its new version. I believe competition makes a better world, including software we use.
New Apache OpenOffice can be download here. Release notes here.
Continue reading “Apache OpenOffice 4.1.3 Release”
When I re-install iTunes on my Windows 10, after reset my PC, I got the error as below: iTunes Installation error: “Microsoft VC80.CRT.TYPE=”win 32″.version=8.0.50727.6195″.publicKeyToken=’1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”.processorArchitecture “x86″”.Please refer to help and support for more information. HRESULT:0X800700C1
It annoied my half an hour to solve the problem. At last, I got the answer.
My Windows 10 may need a particular library file which is not included. It is Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC security Update.
Download here Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update
I download and install the x64 file. Then re-try the installation of iTunes, it is OK now. No Error comes out.
It is a big problem when I try to install World of Warships. It is a brand new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
I did the following steps.
- Download client installation file from World of Warships official site.
- Run the installation and allow it to download related files and updated files.
- Reboot the computer.
- Click the icon and try to run the game.
- An error comes out.
I tried a lot of ways to solve it. Only one works on my computer.
D3dx9_43.dll is a directX extension file. It is DirectX 9. 43 means version 43.
Let me show you how to do it.
Continue reading “How to fix d3dx9_43.dll is missing in Windows 10”
How to solve the problem of errors when running AS SSD Benchmark testing on Windows 10 pro? Here is how the error looks like:
It is not always happened. Click OK. The result is done. But, there are some testing files left in the c:\AS-SSD-TEST42\ folder. You can delete them manually.
If it happened, you just need to run the execute file with Administrator right.
ps: The picture above is from the Internet.