I posted the test on my blog, but I have not recorded the purchasing. When I traveled to San Francisco, I will visit a computer store, Central Computers at downtown San Francisco. It is near my parents-in-law’s house. Compare with the price in Canada, it is cheaper and less tax.
Crucial MX300 275GB is the smallest SSD in MX300 series. There are also 525GB, 1TB, and 2TB.
The price on 275GB SSD box is US$75.95. Actually, it is on a sale of Back to School. The price after discount is $65.95. Sale tax is 8.75% in California. Total is US$71.72.
Let me check the price at NCIX.com. Regular price is $109.99. It is CAD$99.99 now. Sale tax is 12% in BC. Total is CAD$111.99.
Do a calculation. 1 US Dollar equals to 1.28 Canadian Dollar. So US$71.72 = CAD$91.80. I saved 19% on it.(91.80/111.99 = 81.97%)
Look outside and inside of Crucial MX300 275GB SSD.
The items inside are one 2.5 inch SSD, one 7mm to 9.5mm spacer, Acronis True Image HD certificate.
Continue reading “Crucial MX300 275GB SSD”
Got DIR-850L at London Drugs. It is only $10 more than the one I got, DIR-845L at Costco. I did not see the benefits of SmartBeamTM Technology. So I spend $109 to get a new router with 802.11AC support. 802.11AC is a new standard. See new technologies data from Wiki.
- Extended channel binding
- Mandatory 80 MHz channel bandwidth for STAs (vs. 40 MHz maximum in 802.11n), 160 MHz available optionally
- More MIMOspatial streams
- Support for up to eight spatial streams (vs. four in 802.11n)
- Multi-user MIMO(MU-MIMO)
- Multiple STAs, each with one or more antennas, transmit or receive independent data streams simultaneously
- “Space Division Multiple Access” (SDMA): streams not separated by frequency, but instead resolved spatially, analogous to 11n-style MIMO
- Downlink MU-MIMO (one transmitting device, multiple receiving devices) included as an optional mode
- 256-QAM, rate 3/4 and 5/6, added as optional modes (vs. 64-QAM, rate 5/6 maximum in 802.11n)
- Controversy has been raised that this modulation rate is not suitable for any architecture other than extremely small cells and would be completely useless to 3GPP
- Other elements/features
- Beamforming with standardized sounding and feedback for compatibility between vendors (non-standard in 802.11n made it hard for beamforming to work effectively between different vendor products)
- MAC modifications (mostly to support above changes)
- Coexistence mechanisms for 20/40/80/160 MHz channels, 11ac and 11a/n devices
Continue reading “Got a D-Link DIR-850L to replace DIR-845L”
Upgrade Calibre from 0.9.22 to 0.9.24. Let me see how many bugs fixed and features added.
New Features – 0.9.24
- ToC Editor: Allow auto-generation of Table of Contents entries from headings and/or links in the book
- EPUB/MOBI Catalogs: Allow saving used settings as presets which can be loaded easily later.
- Indicate which columns are custom columns when selecting columns in the Preferences
- News download: Add an option recipe authors can set to have calibre automatically reduce the size of downloaded images by lowering their quality
Continue reading “Calibre released 0.9.24”
I use Ubuntu on my Netbook, Acer Aspire One. It has only 8 GB SSD as storage.
The disk space is always tight there. That is why I install Lubuntu on it. Light and quick respond.
After a few months use and a few times update. The free space is even tight. I have to do something.
OK, I would like to introduce this ubuntu tool, Ubuntu Tweak. It has a built-in function, Janitor.
Continue reading “Ubuntu tool – Ubuntu Tweak”
Release: 0.9.7 [23 Nov, 2012]
Almost every time I use Calibre, I may download a new version, or update. Tons of bug fixs or some new features as blow.
There are some new features:
- Edit metadata dialog: Show the size of the current book cover in the edit metadata dialog.
Closes tickets: 1079781
- Get Books: Allow easy searching by title and author in addition to any keyword, to prevent large numbers of spurious matches.
- An option to automatically convert any added book to the current output format, found under Preferences->Adding books
- E-book viewer: Allow viewing tables in a separate popup window by right clicking on the table and selecting ‘View table’. Useful for reference books that have lots of large tables.
Closes tickets: 1080710
- Catalogs: Add the current library name as an available field when generating catalogs in csv/xml format.
Closes tickets: 1078422
- Enable colored text in the output from the command line tools on windows
- E-book viewer: Add an option to hide the help message when entering full screen mode
- E-book viewer: Add an option to always start the viewer in full screen mode
- E-book viewer: Add many more controls to the context menu, particularly useful in full screen mode
- E-book viewer: Allow easy searching of the selected word or phrase in google via the context menu
- Add a new type of FileType plugin, postimport, that runs after a book has been added to the database.
- Get Books: Remove Gandalf store, add Publio store. Update the Legimi store plugin for website changes
Continue reading “Calibre upgraded to 0.9.7”
It is a mandatory security updates. As 6A said:
Movable Type 5.13, 5.07, and 4.38 were released as mandatory security updates. These updates resolve multiple vulnerabilities discovered in Movable Type 5.x and Movable Type 4.x. The vulnerabilities were found as a result of our internal security audit, except the one reported from Trustwave (TWSL2012-002). All users must upgrade to this latest release immediately.
Upgrade process is very simple. Download the tar file, decompress it, copy all files to overwrite the old files.
When log in, it will automatically go to mt-upgrade script.
It also has some new features.
Account and IP Lockout
Account lockout is a feature to protect your Movable Type account from a password-guessing attack known as a brute force attack or a dictionary attack. Movable Type locks out accounts after defined number of incorrect password attempts.
Changing Password Validation Rules
A system administrator can set password validation policies to let users to use stronger passwords.
Stronger Password Encryption
Continue reading “Upgrade MovableType 5.13”
Almost 9 months ago, Kindle 3.1 updates released. Now it is Kindle 3.3.
Some of the features included in this update are:
Download your archived Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: You can now view and download your archived personal documents to your Kindle Keyboard conveniently anywhere at any time. Your personal documents will be stored in your Kindle library until you delete them from Manage Your Kindle.
Whispersync for Personal Documents on Kindle Keyboard: Just as with Kindle books, Whispersync automatically synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks and annotations for personal documents (with the exception of PDFs) across the Kindle devices. Learn more about Kindle Personal Document Service on www.amazon.com/kindlepersonaldocuments
AmazonLocal deals on Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers: Kindle Keyboard with Special Offers users in many regions can now view,purchase, and redeem AmazonLocal deals directly from Kindle Keyboard — no computer, no printer, no hassle. AmazonLocal offers savings up to 75% off products and services from businesses in your city, national chains and online merchants. Learn more about AmazonLocal on www.amazonlocal.com.
Voice Guide Shortcut: Kindle Keyboard users can now quickly turn the Voice Guide feature on and off by holding the Shift key and pressing Spacebar. Voice Guide reads aloud menu options, content listings and item descriptions. To learn more about using Voice Guide on Kindle Keyboard, visit Customize Your Reading on Kindle.
Click here to go to Amazon to download correct version. Before download it check your serial number first.
Then copy the the bin file to the root folder of your kindle.
Continue reading “Amazon Kindle 3.3 release”
Just a few hours use, I feel I like Kindle eReader more than Koko.
1) Page flip over is faster
2) Sleep mode has wonderful pictures as screen saver.
3) Chinese support is OK.
4) Built-in MP3 player.
I use it as background music.
5) Quick open the book or document
6) Online document converting service
7) WiFi, it is helpful for download the document which send to Amazon for converting.
8) Color is wonderful, good for adult.
The color of Kobo is good for kids or children.
Continue reading “Some Good features I like of Amazon Kindle”
I ordered Kobo and Kindle. Kobo is on the way to my home. I will properly get it this week. I have to wait Kindle next month. Anyway, I still can do some pre-research on them.
I am watching on following points.
1) Screen Size
2) Screen greyscale level
Of course, Kindle can show more details on Carton books. But the real difference have to wait until I can compare them side by side.
Kobo: internal Storage Capacity 1 GB, Digital Storage Media Accepted SD, Included Memory Card 1 GB SD Card
Kindle: 4GB internal (approximately 3GB available for user content).
You can add your own big memory card into Kobo to have more books.Kindle can not, but 3G is big enough for me.
4) Supported ebook format
Kobo:Document Formats DRM ePub, PDF, Adobe DRM
Kindle: Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.
Kindle support audio.
Continue reading “Kobo original vs Kindle 3”
I tried Woopra two years ago. It is
still not under beta any more, but very cool.
Now, it has free basic version and paid version. The desktop client panel is v1.4.
Look at the great interface.
The big yellow number 2 is the number of current audiend on my page. On the right panel, users information are displayed, including IP address, Country, pages viewed, Operation system, browser, how long he stayed.
The most cool stuff is the Live Dashboard.
From the screen shot above, you can see two live visitor.
The information is so clear. I can see following information:
- Where are they coming from?
- The navigation path: Referrer, lading page, outgoing page, etc.
- How long they stay on my blog?
- How many pages they visited? Which pages?
- Visiting history of this visitor.
Continue reading “Woopra Real Time website analytics”