I bought a new Router from Costco two months ago. D-Link DIR-880L Dual Band Router AC1900. It replaced my old DIR-850L.
The most important reason, which makes me decide to buy it, is the price, $99.97. The current market price of it is $159.99 at NCIX or $189.99 at Dell.ca today.
The second important reason is that it is AC1900.
Let me show you the difference between AC1200 and AC1900
AC1200: 300 + 867
AC1900: 600 + 1300
There is a chart compared DIR-850L with DIR-880L side by side.
Continue reading “D-Link DIR-880L Router”
It is time to upgrade router firmware.
There is a alert notice on the support.dlink.ca
Security Advisory: New firmware has been released that fixes the latest HNAP Privilege Escalation Vulnerability. Please ensure to upgrade your router to the latest firmware version. Click on on the Downloads tab below.
What kind of vulnerability this time?
Here is a detailed information page about it. http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/support/support-news/2015/april/13/hnap-privilege-escalation-command-injection
An attacker who wishes to gain access to the router sends an unprivileged HNAP command such as GetDeviceSettings, they append to the command an additional command separated with an “/”, which is used as a separator between commands. Any command(s) after the first will be executed unauthenticated. Additionally, additional commands will be passed directly to the underlying Linux system, allowing the injection of arbitrary system commands.
The GetDeviceSettings HNAP Command is used to indicate some very common parameters (e.g. the domain name of the HNAP device), as well as to define which HNAP commands are available.
Continue reading “Upgrade Dir-850L router firmware to v1.13”
Now it is time to upgrade D-Link router 850L to new version, 1.12WW.
Here is official download link
Look at the release notes:
1. Update CN channel table
2. Support No-IP DDNS server
1. Fix gmx mail server issue.
2. Fix WAN/LAN IP conflict issue.
3. Fix HW NAT throughput issue
It is only for Hardware version A1.
This update is only applicable to North America devices.
The release notes for 1.10 are:
¤ Fix the issue with DS-Lite
¤ Fix the security issue with Samba
¤ Fix the issue with the mail server
¤ Fix the issue with DLNA
¤ Support the latest hidden page
¤ Support PPPoE Passthrough
I just don’t know what is latest hidden page.
Continue reading “Update D-Link DIR-850L router firmware to 1.10B08”
My DIR-850L has firmware 1.06 now. Yesterday, I saw 1.09 is released in September, 2013.
I checked the release notes of it, below.
Firmware: v1.09 9/17/2013 NA and EU Region
¤ Block traffic between WAN and LAN ports during booting
¤ Fixed UPnP security issue
¤ Improved wireless IOT issue
¤ Enhanced direct access stability with mydlink SharePort app
Continue reading “Upgrade DIR-850L firmware to v1.09”
Got DIR-850L at London Drugs. It is only $10 more than the one I got, DIR-845L at Costco. I did not see the benefits of SmartBeamTM Technology. So I spend $109 to get a new router with 802.11AC support. 802.11AC is a new standard. See new technologies data from Wiki.
- Extended channel binding
- Mandatory 80 MHz channel bandwidth for STAs (vs. 40 MHz maximum in 802.11n), 160 MHz available optionally
- More MIMOspatial streams
- Support for up to eight spatial streams (vs. four in 802.11n)
- Multi-user MIMO(MU-MIMO)
- Multiple STAs, each with one or more antennas, transmit or receive independent data streams simultaneously
- “Space Division Multiple Access” (SDMA): streams not separated by frequency, but instead resolved spatially, analogous to 11n-style MIMO
- Downlink MU-MIMO (one transmitting device, multiple receiving devices) included as an optional mode
- 256-QAM, rate 3/4 and 5/6, added as optional modes (vs. 64-QAM, rate 5/6 maximum in 802.11n)
- Controversy has been raised that this modulation rate is not suitable for any architecture other than extremely small cells and would be completely useless to 3GPP
- Other elements/features
- Beamforming with standardized sounding and feedback for compatibility between vendors (non-standard in 802.11n made it hard for beamforming to work effectively between different vendor products)
- MAC modifications (mostly to support above changes)
- Coexistence mechanisms for 20/40/80/160 MHz channels, 11ac and 11a/n devices
Continue reading “Got a D-Link DIR-850L to replace DIR-845L”