Today, I upgraded about 5 sites through Dreamhost One-Click installation facility.
It is simply to me to upgrade them.
I click upgrade, and sit to wait the confirm email.
Only do something when I get the confirmation of finish upgrading.
No hands wet. No uploading, downloading.
The program I used through Dreamhost One-Click installation are WordPress, Gallery, phpBB, and Joomla!.
Last weekend, the server which I put my Blog on, is upgraded based on the Dreamhost schedule.
The new server is 64bit, and Linux is 64bit too.
SO I have to rebuild my customized PHP on it, and doing a lot of extension upgrade too.
Later I found I can not add new database and use the existing mysql host.
There is no option of “Use Hostname”.
I have to ask for upgrading databse too.
Today,they moved my MySQL database from alvin:ruano to my main MySQL server: lingling:myler.
Everything looks fine. If you find any strange issue, just comment here. Thank you.
You may find my blog is not available this morning.
It is happened because of the file server error of Dreamhost.
It is fixed after two or three hours site down.
I hope Dreamhost can make their service more reliable. Then I can trust them more and move my commercial site on it.
OK. It works now. Enjoy it.
Now PHP 5.2.3 is installed on Dreamhost. If you don’t know how to do it, just refer to my previous post, Install customized PHP5 on Dreamhost.
Let us see how to add Zend Optimizer support on your own PHP installation.
1) Go to Zend official site. http://www.zend.com/
2) Find and download the Zend Optimizer 3.3. You may need sign an account to download it. To install it on Dreamhost, you may choose Linux x86 (32bit) (TAR.GZ) | 9.74MB | 3.3.3 package.
3) I suggest to download it through SSH.
4) Decompress it.
tar xvfz ZendOptimizer-3.3.3-linux-glibc23-i386.tar.gz
6) We use complied ZendOptimizer so file.
7) There are two files.
ZendOptimizer.so is the complied file.
8) Copy this file to the PHP installation folder.
cp ZendOptimizer.so ~/jiuan4/php5/lib/php/
Now ZendOptimizer 3.3.3 installation finished.
9) To enable ZendOptimizer, you need to edit your domain’s php.ini file.
10) Edit php.ini file.
Continue reading “Install Zend Optimizer 3.3 on Customized PHP 5.2.3”
Install a customized PHP5 on Dreamhost can help you to make php work better and work more. That means you can add more extension on it.
Let’s go to the details of installation.
Install/Compile PHP 5
1) Copy the PHP5_installscript (see the last portion of this post) into a text editor and replace YOUR DOMAIN HERE on the 4th line with your site’s domain name. For example your domain is abc.com, you need to add it same as it.
2) Copy the new contents to your clipboard.
3) Log in to your account using SSH, create a new folder as temp and cd temp.
4) Create a new file in your SSH by entering the command:
5) Hit i for insert mode, then right-click to paste your clipboard (the install script) contents, then hit Esc, type :wq (that’s ‘colon’, ‘w’, ‘q’), and press Enter to save and exit.
6) Make the file executable by entering the command:
chmod +x installscript
7) Run the script by entering the command:
8) After it has finished you will need to edit your htaccess file appropriately. Add the following:
AddHandler php-cgi .php
Action php-cgi /cgi-bin/php.cgi
Deny from All
Allow from env=REDIRECT_STATUS
to a file called .htaccess and place it in the root folder of your domain you specified above (/home/YOUR USERNAME/YOUR DOMAIN HERE/.htaccess)
I have a post tell you how to install PHP 5.2.0 on Dreamhost in Chinese last December.
Continue reading “Install customized PHP5 on Dreamhost”
I have a script file used in cron jobs.
I create and edit this file on Windows 2000. The editor is UltraEdit.
When I finished editing, I upload the file to Dreamhost by FTP.
I tried to use it through SSH command.
It failed with following error notes.
Continue reading “DOS Format and Unix Format”
I have two news, one good, one bad.
The bad news is Dreamhost has no PEAR default.
The good news is we can install it by ourselves.
Let us go through the steps of install PEAR on Dreamhost.
1) SSH to Dreamhost.
2) Enter the command
Continue reading “How to install PEAR on Dreamhost”
This blog has some error last week. Some pages were not build correctly.
I diagnosed it and found the template was broken. A bunch of codes were missing.
I want to find the backup of MySQL database.
Go to Dreamhost Web Panel > Goodies > Manage MySQL
Next to the database name, there are four links. One of them is Restore DB.
Click Restore DB, and go the following page.
Continue reading “Database on Dreamhost”
When I add a new domain on the control panel of Dreamhost, Google’s logo catch my eyeball.
Now users can Set up calendar.domain.com, docs.domain.com, sites.domain.com, and start.domain.com, free with Google.
And use Gmail as email provider.
And the last is Google Page Creator for hosting. All free.
If you want better email service, not he simple web mail interface, I suggested you use Gmail. It is part of Google Apps services. Google Page Creator is good for new site owner without HTML knowledge. It is easy to use and similar to word processor.
I mentioned that I have the error or warning of the Joomla! 1.5.2 on Dreamhost.
Now I know what happened.
My previous upgrade steps are:
1) Upgrade the Joomla! 1.5.1 through Dreamhost one-click installation.
2) Manually upgrade it to 1.5.2.
So problem comes.
I use this way to upgrade Joomla! 1.5.2 without problems.
1) Restore the .old installation of Joomla! 1.5.0. It works perfect without problems.
2) Download the Upgrade Patch from 1.5.0 to 1.5.2 from official site.
My Joomla! 1.5.2 is OK now. I think the Dreamhost One-Click upgrade of Joomla has some issues.