I have tested the upgrade on the MT unofficial blog. It is smooth.
Now I recorded the detailed upgrade procedures of David Yin’s Blog.
1) Login the MovableType system, Backup all blogs of this system, by tab system > tools > backup
2) Use Export feature of the system, by tab system > tools > export
Export every individual blog.
3) SSH to the Dreamhost.
Use tar command to backup all related files.
tar czvf backup.tar.gz ~/yinfor.com/
4) Go to control panel of Dreamhost, Goodies > Manage MySQL > phpMyAdmin
Export the whole database.
Now I have the full backups on different levels. I am safe even the following upgrade fails.
1) SSH to Dreamhost
cd ~/temp/<br />wget http://www.movabletype.com/download/personal/MTP-4.1-en.tar.gz
2) Decompress the package
tar xvzf MTP-4.1-en.tar.gz
3) Copy the decompressed files into the mt cgi folder. I use mtcgi as the system folder.
cd ~/temp/MTP-4.1-en/<br />cp -r -f . ~/yinfor.com/mtcgi/
4) Now launch Firefox.
Click “Begin Upgrade” to continue.
5) Then enter the user name and password to sign in.
6) After successful sign in, the upgrade starts.