Information technology has seen a major development in this decade that has created more innovative products to make communication faster and cheaper than we expect. Internet telephony or the (VOIP) voice over internet protocol is one of the major development that has made voice transmission more clear, fast and cheaper. Broadband service and fiber optics have facilitated the growth of VOIP technology and is expected to be used in a wider spectrum. There are a few threats or cautions like spamming, spoofing and identity threats that have been alarmed since the emergence of this technology.
1. (SPIT) Spam over internet telephony is a mix of telemarketing and spam. Calls are free or cost much lesser not just for customers but also for marketing companies. A large volume of VOIP calls and messages can pile up in your inbox which will be sent using automated programs. Also they will occupy large mega bytes of storage which can reduce the traffic of genuine and wanted messages.
2. Spoofing is a method of creating a mask or fake identity using the internet telephone. Since internet telephone use a MAC (Media access control) address for identification, spoofing of the MAC also possible. This can help hackers and attackers to make the customers believe that the call is from a known or trusted source. These calls can make the customers disclose personal information like account numbers, (SSN) Social security number and other authentic information.
Right now, Microsoft released its free security program, Microsoft Security Essential. It can not work on Windows 2000.
Operating System Requirement: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
Let’s see what he said about it:
Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
I am not very sure how good it is. You would better try it yourself and leave your comment to tell others how it works.
You can get it free here.
Firefox 3.5.2 released today.
There are some critical issues fixed. Upgrade now.
MFSA 2009-46 Chrome privilege escalation due to incorrectly cached wrapper
MFSA 2009-45 Crashes with evidence of memory corruption (rv:220.127.116.11/18.104.22.168)
MFSA 2009-44 Location bar and SSL indicator spoofing via window.open() on invalid URL
MFSA 2009-43 Heap overflow in certificate regexp parsing
MFSA 2009-42 Compromise of SSL-protected communication
MFSA 2009-38 Data corruption with SOCKS5 reply containing DNS name longer than 15 characters
It is announced that the Joomla 1.5.13 can be upgraded through Dreamhost one-click upgrade.
For security purpose, I upgrade my installation of Joomla 10 minutes ago.
This release contains 26 bug fixes, two moderate-level security fixes and one low-level security fix.
When you suffer websites, you may see these kind of Google Money Scam ads. It tells that you can make thousands money without any computer skills from Google.
It is really Scam.
Google officially provide the information about How to steer clear of money scams. It does help to identify which is the trick.
phpBB released its new version. 3.0.5.
This release fixes numerous bugs since the 3.0.4 release, corrects style issues, fixing one very minor security bug as well as increasing performance and scalability again. They also added a few new minor features.
New features and important changes are:
* Added and refined CAPTCHA options to better protect against new version of CAPTCHA crackers.
* Added an option to the registration screen to allow users to refresh the displayed CAPTCHA.
* Performance improvements for native fulltext search.
* Added a new search option. The admin can define the maximum number of words allowed to search for. This option gives control about the maximum search load.
* Search indexing should no longer stall for some installations.
* Conflicting files are able to be downloaded now within the automatic updater for manual inspection.
* The database updater now checks for an incompatible database schema in case the database version got updated. The admin will be notified about possible solutions and repair scripts.
* We now set the connection encoding for MySQL versions 4.1.0 to 4.1.2. This may fix some conversion issues with special characters.
* Language pack authors now see errors/notices within their language pack if they enabled DEBUG_EXTRA.
* Flash files now display again after update to flash player 10.
I have an forum powered by phpBB 3. I will test the upgrade this weekend.
Download phpBB 3.0.5 here.
It is time to upgrade Movable Type 4.23 to 4.24.
The steps to upgrade is followed my own upgrading procedures here.
* Release Type: Security Release. This update fixes a serious potential vulnerability which has not yet been exploited in the wild.
* Mandatory? Yes, this is a mandatory security upgrade.
* Performance Implications: None.
* Plugins Affected: None. Your current plugins should continue to work as expected.
* Templates Affected: None.
* System Requirements: This release has no new or additional system requirements.
* Licensing considerations: None. MT 4.24 is a free update for users of any version of MT 4.x.
* Upgrade Fatigue: No further mandatory updates are planned for Movable Type 4.2.
So for security purpose. Just upgrade it and protect your own Blog.