Microsoft only provides Windows PE to OEM and Enterprise customers. So the small companies and end users do not get Windows PE. This is really bad. With Bart’s PE Builder they can build a Bootable XP CD-Rom (called BartPE) to use for maintaining their systems. For example to fix something which can not be fixed even under safe mode.
To make a Bart’s PE Boot Disk, you need following itmes:
1) The files from your Windows Installation CD-Rom.
Supported Windows versions are:
Windows XP Home Edition (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows XP Professional (must be slip streamed with Service Pack 1 or higher)
Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition
Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition
2) PE Builder runs on Windows 2000/XP/2003/BartPE systems.
3) CD/DVD writer if you want to creat a bootable CD/DVD.
Section 1: Prepare the Windows XP SP2 installation files
First of all I want to introduce how to slipstream a Windows XP with Service Pack 2.
If you have a installation CD of Windows XP without SP1 or SP2, you need to follow the steps to make it.
Prepare Installation CD of Windows XP and Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.
Download Windows XP SP2 (266mb)
1. Create a folder for the Windows XP installation files, For example, to create a folder named winxp under C drive.
Now you have a folder like: c:\winxp
2. Copy Insert your original Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive, and then copy the contents of the CD to the folder that you created in step 1.
3. Create another folder for SP 2 files. For example, to create a folder named SP2 under C drive too.
Now you have a folder like: c:\sp2
3. Move the download SP 2 file into the folder that you created in step 3.
4. Run the following command to integrate the Windows XP with SP2.
You do NOT need to specify the i386 folder in the path. The slipstreaming process will automatically look for it in the folder root.
Now your Windows XP SP2 installation files are ready.
Section 2: Build Bart’s PE on Windows XP SP2
1. Download the PE Builder v3.1.10a – self-installing package
2. Uncompress this package.
3. Run pebuilder.exe program
4. In the window, give the path of you source files prepared in section 1, like c:\winxp\
and choose Burn to CD, in which Driver you already put in a blank CD-R or CD-RW.
5. Click Build to start.
6. When finish, the Bart’s PE cd is ready for use. You can boot your PC by this Bootable CD.
Refer to the following resources.
Bart’s Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
Frequently asked questions (FAQ) of Bart’s PE
Microsoft Windows Preinstallation Environment