I installed Joomla 3.1.1 on a VPS. When I tried to use mass email, no matter what kind of mailer setting I put, I did not receive any email from it.
At last I tried SMTP settings with Gmail account.
1) Choose Mailer: SMTP
2) From email: email@example.com
3) From Name: Your Name
4) Sendmail Path: Just leave it as default
5) SMTP Authentication: Choose Yes
6) SMTP Security: SSL
7) SMTP Port: 465
8) SMTP Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
9) SMTP Password: the password of the email above
10) SMTP Host: smtp.gmail.com
The Joomla! Project is pleased to announce the immediate availability of Joomla 3.0.0. This is the next major release of the Joomla CMS in the Standard Term Support (STS) track. All 3.0 users will need to plan to update to the new versions available in the STS release cycle every six months until version 3.5 is released. These updates are expected to be simple and backwards compatible.
What are the new features of Joomla! 3?
- Incorporation of Twitter Bootstrap into a jui media package.
- A new responsive, mobile device friendly administrator template–Isis– and interface.
- A new front end template–Protostar– built using Twitter Bootstrap.
- Updated accessible template called Beez3.
- A simplified 3-step installation process.
- PostgreSQL Driver. You will be able to run Joomla 3.0 sites using the PostgreSQL database.
- PHP Memcached Driver
- Use of JFeed for feed management rather than SimplePie
- Installation of language packages directly from the extension manager
- Guest user group present by default
- Saving blank articles allowed
- New administrator statistics module
- Update TinyMCE to version 3.5.6
- Continued clean up of older unused code, files and database fields and tables and improved standardization of tables.
- Improvements to Smart Search
- Extensive work on code style standardisation and consistency
- Unit testing in the CMS
- Updated system tests in the CMS
- Custom active menu item for menu module
- Let the SEF plug-in add the canonical url to the head
- Version 12.2 of the Joomla Platform
This release also includes the current version (12.2) of the Joomla! Platform, which includes a large number of new and improved packages.
It is announced that the Joomla 1.5.13 can be upgraded through Dreamhost one-click upgrade.
For security purpose, I upgrade my installation of Joomla 10 minutes ago.
This release contains 26 bug fixes, two moderate-level security fixes and one low-level security fix.
Joomla! 1.5.6 released
It is a security patch, to fix an important bug.
SECURITY [HIGH] Fixed security hole in reset logic to check for proper token length.
To upgrade from 1.5.5, you just need to replace following files.
1.5.6 full package
I am still using Joomla! 1.5.3 on some sites.
What about the Joomla! 1.5.5 and previous 1.5.4?
Let us just focus on the new release.
Joomla! is a wonderful open source CMS. But the performance of content on Search Engine Results is not good enough.
Some SEO (Search Engine Optimize) hacking should be taken to make it better on SERP.
The first one is H1 tag.
Joomla does not take H1 on it template. So the Search Engine can not find the important part of the page.
To add H1 on the page title, article title, you need to do following html hack.
Use whatever html editing tools you like, I use Dreamweaver now.
The template files are sitting here.
Then add <h1> </h1> around the heading tag.
Save them and upload them to site.
When you browse the page after H1 hacking, the title will looks bigger than before.
You can also use css to add H1 style for them.
If you install new Joomla! 1.5.2 on your server, you get the ‘Welcome to the Frontpage’ title on your Frontpage. Sometimes, it is difficult to find, where you can change this title.
Go to your Joomla! 1.5.2 Administration site and login. In your administration site go to:
* Menus – Main Menu (now you are in: Menu Item Manager: mainmenu).
* Click on ‘Home‘ link to edit this link (you are now in: Menu Item: Edit).
* Click on Parameters System in the right side and change or delete the Page title.
o If you change the Page title, changed title will be displayed on your Frontpage as a title.
o If you delete the Page title, Menu link will be displayed on your Frontpage as a title (in the present case ‘Home’ will be displayed as title, because ‘Home’ is the name of the link to the Frontpage).
o If you don’t want to display any title, set Show Page Title below Page title parameter to ‘No’.
* Don’t forget to save changes.
I mentioned that I have the error or warning of the Joomla! 1.5.2 on Dreamhost.
Now I know what happened.
My previous upgrade steps are:
1) Upgrade the Joomla! 1.5.1 through Dreamhost one-click installation.
2) Manually upgrade it to 1.5.2.
So problem comes.
I use this way to upgrade Joomla! 1.5.2 without problems.
1) Restore the .old installation of Joomla! 1.5.0. It works perfect without problems.
2) Download the Upgrade Patch from 1.5.0 to 1.5.2 from official site.
My Joomla! 1.5.2 is OK now. I think the Dreamhost One-Click upgrade of Joomla has some issues.
Dreamhost has a One-Click installation facility including Joomla!.
It has Joomla! 1.5.1 upgrading already.
But the 1.5.2 released last week.
The problem I met is the One-Click upgrade does not work. I tried many times on different domain/site.
Yesterday, I manually upgraded it.
It is very easy and simple.
Just download the upgrade pack and decompress it, upload it.
I chose the Joomla_1.5.0_to_1.5.2-Stable-Patch_Package.zip