Just noticed that WordPress 3.2 released few days ago.
There are some new features and improvement on UI and others. The most important parts I like are the big changes of it.
1) No more IE6.
Actually, there is no IE 6 on any PCs in house. Even IE 7.
WordPress said IE6 is a insecure browser. I second.
2) Admin UI changes.
The backend is changed. Some one like it, but others may dislike it. For me, I feel it is more clear and YES, I like it.
3) Incremental upgrades method.
When upgrade available, it will not download whole package, but just the incremental package. Save time. Faster.
4)New Theme – TwentyEleven
The image is wider, give more powerful eyeball impact.
Continue reading “Big changes of WordPress v3.2”
WordPress v3.1 is released yesterday. I upgrade four blogs powered by WordPress from 3.05 to 3.1.
What’s New in WordPress 3.1
According to the WordPress Codex, there are a lot of new features to be found, however, here is a quick rundown of some of the more compelling and anticipated new items.
* Internal Linking: Available only with the visual editor (which has also been updated) WordPress now offers a “Link to existing content” dropdown that lets you easily search for and link to previous posts on your site.
* Admin Bar: When logged into your site and visiting the public page, you’ll see an admin bar across the top, similar to the one on WordPress.com blogs, that will let you access admin functions directly going to the admin area.
* Post Formats: A theme feature that allows posts to include metadata that instructs the themes to display them in a different manner.
* Cleaned Up Admin/Writing Interface: The admin area of WordPress has been streamlined, in particular the writing page. Admin area CSS has also been cleaned up.
* Security Updates: WordPress 3.1 comes with a slew of security updates, including an improved password recovery system.
The above What’s new came from Blogging tips. It is a great blog. It has a lot of useful information for blogging.
I do recommend to upgrade to WordPress 3.1.
WordPress 3.0.5 is released and has following bugs fixed.
* Fix XSS bug: Properly encode title used in Quick/Bulk Edit, and offer additional sanitization to various fields. Affects users of the Author or Contributor role. (r17397, r17406, r17412)
* Fix XSS bug: Preserve tag escaping in the tags meta box. Affects users of the Author or Contributor role. (r17401)
* Fix potential information disclosure of posts through the media uploader. Affects users of the Author role. (r17393)
* Enhancement: Force HTML filtering on comment text in the admin (r17400)
* Enhancement: Harden check_admin_referer() when called without arguments, which plugins should avoid. (r17387)
* Update the license to GPLv2 (or later) and update copyright information for the KSES library.
All in One SEO Pack – 6.9 Million
Akismet – 5.8 Million
Google XML Sitemaps – 4.8 Million
Contact Form 7 – 3.1 Million
NextGEN Gallyer – 2.7 Million
WordPress Stats – 2.2 Million
WP Super Cache – 1.9 Million
WPtouch – 1.5 Million
AddToAny (share/bookmark) – 1.4 Million
Google Analytics for WordPress – 1.4 Million
Continue reading “Top 10 WordPress Plugins”
As Matt mentioned, it is a security update. You have to update your WordPress installation as soon as possible.
I did it when I received the email and read the message from Matt.
Version 3.0.4 of WordPress, available immediately through the update page in your dashboard or for download here, is a very important update to apply to your sites as soon as possible because it fixes a core security bug in our HTML sanitation library, called KSES. I would rate this release as “critical.”
Security is the top issue of all kinds of web sites, including weblog or blog.
WordPress 3.0.3 released. Even I do not use remote publish, I still upgrade five blogs I managed to latest 3.0.3.
It is simply and easy, just click the auto update link and done.
This release fixes issues in the remote publishing interface, which under certain circumstances allowed Author- and Contributor-level users to improperly edit, publish, or delete posts.
Click here to get the latest copy of WordPress.
Continue reading “Upgrade to WordPress 3.0.3”
I installed a fresh WordPress on a brand new VPS. No matter how I change the settings of permalinks, it is always giving me 404 error for all pages except Homepage.
Later I google it and find the solution from the official site.
* Apache web server with the mod_rewrite module installed
* In WordPress’s home directory,
o The FollowSymLinks option enabled
o FileInfo directives allowed (e.g. AllowOverride FileInfo or AllowOverride All)
o An .htaccess file (if this file is missing, WordPress will try to create it when you activate “pretty” permalinks)
o If you want WordPress to update the .htaccess file automatically, WordPress will need write access to the file.
For my situation, it is because of options of Apache.
I edited the httpd.conf and added following options.
Continue reading “Apache requirement for WordPress Pretty URL”
Just bought a iPod Touch 32G edition. It has safari browser. I use it to browse one of my Blog powered by WordPress. The text and images are so small. I know I can enlarge them by two fingers, but it is still has width problem.
I thought it must be some plugin can do it to make a blog mobile.
I did a google search and find this one: WordPress Mobile Pack
I install it on the backend of WordPress.
Just a few clicks to config it and it works.
I went to my blog. WordPress detected my browser and knew it is from an hand held device. So it gave the mobile version of Blog.
It is perfect. I don’t need to setup an separated domain for mobile device. Just like some site named as m.example.com. The regular site domain is www.example.com.
The configuration steps as below.
Continue reading “WordPress Mobile Pack is great”
To keep your WordPress safe, use WordPress built-in upgrade facility.
Continue reading “Upgrade to WordPress 2.8.4: Security Release”
It is so happy to know that WordPress 2.8 released tonight.
The most important change is to make WordPress faster. I like it.
Find more information about the release here..
You can download it here for free.
I will find time to upgrade my installation of WordPress.