The way to fix the problem when Upgrade phpBB 3.1.1

It is so fast, phpBB 3.1.1 released.

I did meet the problem when I tried to upgrade my phpBB 3.0.12 to 3.1.0 or 3.1.1. Same problem here.

One is mentioned in the previous post.

Request-URI Too Large when updating

I copied the URI when this error came. I found the URI is so long. More than 8190 characters.

So, I tried to change it to 11000. Restart the Apache server.

LimitRequestLine 11000

It works. And this error doesn’t come back.

 

Later, during the process of preparing the merged file, another error shown as below.

Bad Request 
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand. 
Size of a request header field exceeds serv

I thought it is a simlar error as the first one. So I google it and add the limit .

LimitRequestFieldSize 16380

 

Then, no more problem on the phpBB 3.1.1 upgrading. The merged files are created and downloaded.

There are also some tips for upgrading from phpBB 3.0.12 to phpBB 3.1.x

1) Change the anti-spam facility to the phpBB native one, such as GD.

2) Change the style back to the default¬† “prosilver”

3) Try your best to uninstall all the mods

4) Backup your forum database.