I have a phpBB board with some modification.
To upgrade it from 3.0.0 to 3.0.1 is not that difficult.
Previously, I have to record all modification I made on it and backup everything and upgrade it through a patched package or changes package. After upgrade I have to do all modification again, because they are all gone during upgrade processing.
Now Automatic update package is released with phpBB 3.0.1.
It is a good news for me.
This update method is the preferred method for updating. This package allows detecting changed files automatically and merges changes if needed.
The automatic update package is holding – contrary to the others – only the update informations for updating the last released version to the latest available version. These package is meant for use with the automatic update tool.
To perform the update, either follow the instructions from the Administration Control Panel->System Tab – this should point out that you are running an outdated version and will guide you through the update – or follow the instructions listed below.
* Go to the downloads page and download the latest update package listed there, matching your current version.
* Upload the archives contents to your phpBB installation – only the install folder is required. Upload the whole install folder, retaining the file structure.
* After the install folder is present, phpBB3 will go offline automatically.
* Point your browser to the install directory, for example http://www.example.com/phpBB3/install/
* Choose the “Update” Tab and follow the instructions
During update, it will compare the difference between current files and new files. Then it ask the FTP information and do all the changes for you.
It is easy and fast.
Automatic update package download here.