To access the files on multiple computers or mobile devices is nightmare two years ago.
It is solved until Dropbox came.
I have a post recommend it in 2010.
Now I feel it is even better.
You get the 2GB free space when you sign up. And if you use the link to sign up, you get extra 500MB free space for life.
With Dropbox, you can easily synchronize folders, files between your desktop, laptop. You can also use your Android phone, iphone to upload pictures to your dropbox folder, and access files inside of your dropbox.
It is not enough.
Sharing is another important feature.
There are three different sharing.
- One is share a folder with other Dropbox user. So both you can access the folder and files inside.
- The other sharing is to share the individual file. You can get link from a file and pass the link to others by email, MSN. They can download the file through the link.
- The last one is put the files into Public folder, then copy the public link and send it to others.
Continue reading “Sync your files in cloud with Dropbox”
I do a lot of search every day. From Google, Yahoo, Bing, to some vertical search engine. Each search engine has its own power.
Today, I would like to introduce one of the file search engine. You know, there are a lot of file storing, file sharing sites. Such as uploading.com, rapidshare.com, etc. You can do the search on every site mentioned above, but can not do one search including all the sites without the Search Engine I introduced here.
It is General-search, one file sharing search.
Say, I want to look up the ebook, “Webbots spiders and screen scrapers”.
I enter the file search engine web address into firefox. Put the book name into the search box, click search.
It return four results as below.
From the four results, I click the Download button. It lead me to the result page. The page has alternative sponsored link, and download button, Click the download button, will go to the file download page on file sharing site.
Continue reading “A great file sharing sites search engine”
Google Reader can let users share the post with the friends.
Actually, it is not the friends list. It shares to all the contacts you have.
But, not all contacts are your friends. OK
Google fix this bug now.
User can pick the friends from the contact list.
People that you add to the Friends list will be able to automatically see your shared items in Reader (remember, shared items always have a public URL).
I have a LAN with Windows 2000 pro and Windows 2000 server. One share folder in Windows 2000 server. All people in the Lan can access this folder as member of workgroup.
The requirement is to setup this share folder to two groups with different security right.
The following notes is what I do in my server.
Setting Security on a Folder before share it
1) Log on to server as a user who is a member of the Administrators group. Open Windows Explorer.
2) Click the drive or folder in which I want to create a new folder.
3) Create a new folder, named it as “shareit”.
4) Right-click “shareit”, and then click Properties. Click the Security tab.
5) Click to clear the Allow inheritable permissions form parent to propagate to this object check box. In the Security dialog box, click Copy.
Note: The inherited permissions are copied directly to this folder.
Continue reading “How to share files and folder over a network for workgroups in Windows 2000 Server”