Based on the schedule of release, Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic Beaver) will be released on April 26, 2018, the day after tomorrow.
Now, my all VPS is running on the Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. LTS is an abbreviation for “Long Term Support”. An LTS version is released every two years. So after Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, it is Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Now all LTS version has five years support.
I can use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS until 2021. Security updates will be released during the time period.
I am waiting for the release of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I would like to try it on my staging server, or a virtual machine. Try all my existing web programs on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Find the compatible problems then fix them.
Maybe after a few months testing. I am sure there are no issues with it. I will install a new VPS with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and move the websites to it.
Continue reading “Waiting for the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS”
Now, Calibre is not upgraded every week. Let me have a look at the new releases.
New features of Calibre 3.7
- Allow searching for books in a virtual library using a new ‘vl:’ prefix
- Server: Show file sizes in the tooltips for the download buttons.
- Server: Reduce the grid view minimum cover thumbnail size from 150px to 105px
- Narrow layout: Fix wasted space to the left of the comments in the Book details panel
New features of Calibre 3.6
- Linux: Use native file dialogs via zenity or kdialog, if available
- Copy to library: Add an action to show a dialog that allows for easy selection of libraries for copy/move. Useful when there are a large number of libraries to choose from.
- Server: Allow deleting a downloaded book from the “Browse all downloaded books” screen
New features of Calibre 3.5
- Server: Add a new ‘custom’ mode for the book list, where you can specify exactly what metadata fields are displayed, via a template (see Preferences->Sharing over the net->Book list template)
- Speed up HTML parsing by an order of magnitude, by switching from html5lib to html5-parser
- Add support for touch screens to the main calibre book list. You can now flick to scroll, tap to select and double-tap to view books.
- Server: Add an option to ban IP addresses if there are too many failed login attempts
- calibre-debug: Change the –explode-book action to only create the exploded directory and not rebuild the file. Add a new –implode-book action to rebuild the file, separately.
- Book details panel: Add Manage authors/series/tags/etc. to the menu when right clicking on the item
- Kobo driver: Update for new firmware
Continue reading “Upgrade to Calibre 3.7”
Piwik announce the new release of its Analytics software to latest 2.14.0.
It is a major release. and This release is rated critical.
There are more than 130 tickets closed and a lot of changes or improvement on it.
In this release we have focused on improving the usability and design of Piwik. Several screens were redesigned, including the installation, administration screens and forms, data tables and buttons, the websites manager, the visitor log, and more. Performance has been slightly improved and you can now install Piwik with HHVM and TokuDB (useful for high traffic Piwik services). In terms of quality, we have made many improvements to our automated test suites.
Look at the details of the release notes of Piwik 2.14.0.
Ubuntu is always a good desktop Linux distributation in the world. In the past years. more and more are installed as servers. Now I have four VPS are running under ubuntu, from 12.04 to 14.04.
Ubuntu 14.10 server is not a LTS edition. It will be supported in 9 months. Actually it will be upgrade to new version in 6 months.
Download Ubuntu 14.10 server here.
There is also a web forum programe has a new release. It is phpBB 3.1.0. The previous version of phpBB is 3.0.12, released on Sep 28, 2013, more than one year ago.
So I will take a trial installation on the new Ubuntu 14.10 Server. It is cool to have a test run on both new software.
In my long term plan, I will add more and more math worksheet on Aliveworksheet.com.
It is a website, which can make your own worksheet for your kids. The downloadable worksheet is pdf format. The worksheet with your kid’s name on it. The answer sheet is an option.
The question of math are made on the fly. Numbers are generated randomly. So every worksheet is different.
I added two new type of worksheets yesterday.
One is Three numbers addition.
The other one is 3 digit number subtraction without borrowing.
It is a simple one, now need to borrow one from the top number
- Webmin is a quite easy way to control VPS. It is a web panel.
- Version 1.680 (13th March 2014)
- More German translation updates thanks to Raymond Vetter, Catalan from Jaume Badiella and Norwegian updates from Stein-Aksel Basma.
- Fixed security issues that could be exploited by un-trusted Webmin users in the PHP Configuration and Webalizer modules.
- Signed the File Manager module Java applet, to prevent scary browser warnings.
- UI library and strict perl conversions across several modules.
- When a language with a UTF-8 character set is selected, email is converted to UTF-8 before being displayed. This allows an inbox with mixed language subject lines to be properly displayed.
Click here to see the full list of the changes of new release.
It is time to memo the new features of Calibre 1.19.
New Features of 1.19
- Edit book: A new tool to insert special characters into the text, available via Edit->Insert special character. Supports all unicode characters (over 60,000 of them). See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html#inserting-special-characters
- Edit book: When searching for text in the editor, center the found text on screen
- Driver for teXet TB-146SE.
- Edit book: Show tooltips in the File Browser for ‘special’ files, such as the cover, opf, ncx, etc.
- Edit book: When checking book, check for entries in the OPF whose mimetype does not match the file extension.
New Features of 1.18
- Add an option to control how completion works when editing authors/tags/series/etc.By default, when completing items, calibre will show you all the candidates that start with the text you have already typed. You can instead have it show all candidates that contain the text you have already typed. To do this, go to Preferences->Tweaks->Completion mode. For example, if you type asi it will now match both Asimov and Quasimodo, whereas the default behavior would match only Asimov.
- Edit book: Add a check for too large HTML files when running the check book tool.
- Conversion: Sort the CSS rules in the output stylesheet using a ‘natural’ sort algorithm, so that calibre2 sorts before calibre10.
- Cybook Orizon driver: Upload cover thumbnails in the correct format and add an option to control what directory books are sent to on the SD card
- Portable installer: Do not ask the user for confirmation when upgrading an existing installation during an automated install
- Linux/OS X driver for Trekstor Pyrus LED
- Driver for Tagus Lux
Continue reading “Upgrade to Calibre 1.19”