Previously I used gzip as compression tool to compress the web site files and mysql database. It is still working on my Linode server. I learned something from the compairasion from this post .
So I tried to use bzip instead of gzip on my backup script.
Here is two examples.
1) Mysqldump file, which is a text sql file.
The original sql file is 52,317KB
- gzip with level 9 (best) compression: 23,227KB – Compress Ratio 44.39%
- bzip2 with default (I think it is level 9) compression: 19,666KB – Compress Ratio 37.59%
Bzip2 is smaller than gzip file. It reduced about 15%.
2) Website files, including php, jpeg, png, css, any files used in web site.
The original tar gile is 187,670KB
- gzip compression: 42,101KB – Ratio 22.43%
- bzip2 compression: 34,753KB – Ratio 18.51%
Bzip2 is better. Backup file size is reduced by about 17%.